Thursday 17 December 2015

Sick Of Being Sick With Heartburn?







That's why I went to my regular doctor, then my gastroenterologist, and then a naturalist to get help. I was miserable. At 54 years old and fairly healthy I had done all I could, and still no relief.

It all started when I had a traumatic stomach event when I radically changed my diet to lose weight. Not a good idea

I had every test imaginable. A CT Scan, a capsule endoscopy (yes, you actually swallow a little camera!) an MRI, stool tests, blood tests, a colonoscopy and an endoscopy.

What I was continually told was to "eat more fiber", stop eating fried foods, stop drinking coffee, stop drinking any alcohol. I did all of these things, and it actually got WORSE.



I was prescribed what's known as proton pump inhibitors. Like Nexium or Omeprazole. I have friends that take these too, and they take one 20 mg pill and get relief. Me? I was up to larger 40 mg pills TWICE a day. Still no relief.

Then I went to a natural practitioner and bought Licorice supplements, slippery elm, a variety of teas. Out a lot of money, but no luck.

Then I'd had it. None of this made any sense. I figured the only way I was going to fix this was to solve it myself.

Here I was trying every natural supplement and was taking 80 mg of Omeprazole to shut off all my acid production. Keep in mind you're really only supposed to take these medications on a temporary basis.

I'm not a doctor, but I know enough to understand that stomach acid is there for a reason. It helps digest food! So if I was shutting all of it off, it must be affecting my ability to digest, right?

If you're at the end of your wits with heartburn, you have to get to the root of the problem. It's counterintuitive, but what I learned is that GERD and acid reflux is actually caused by too little acid rather than too much acid!



Therefore, all of these supplements you read about are only helping mask the underlying problem. They may give you temporary relief (they did not work for me, but they may for you), but the problem doesn't go away.

What helped me was a very deliberate series of steps that finally gave me great relief over a period of two months.

Here's the first one.

Stop eating carbohydrates immediately! That means no bread, no pizza, no pasta, no bagels, and no potatoes. No, it doesn't mean you'll have to do this forever, but you will need to do it for a least a few months.

Why? Because undigested carbs create gas that contribute to heartburn. Take away the fuel, and you're on your way to a healthier gut.



No comments:

Post a Comment